Monday, December 1, 2008

"What you said, Mom?"

Grace is very bright and always keeps me on my toes with her quick whit! Here are a few of the conversations we have shared in the last few months...

In the car one day...

Grace: "Why we going this way mom?"
Me: "This is the way to Morgan's house."
Grace: "What you said, Mom?"
Me: "This is the way to Morgan's house."
Grace: "What you said, Mom?"
Me: "This is the way to Morgan's house."
Grace: "What you said, mom?"
Me: "GRACE! THIS IS THE WAY TO MORGAN'S HOUSE!"
Grace: "You don't have to yell at me, mom."
Me: "Sorry, Grace. But you were not listening to me. I kept answering you and you were not even paying attention. When you ask someone a question, you need to listen for their answer, okay."
Grace: "What you said, mom?"


On falling off the my bed because she was fooling around instead of resting...

After hearing some VERY concerning sounds coming from my room (whack, bang, boom, thud, whaaaaaaaaaa!) I decide to investigate. I find Grace on the floor screaming her head off, immediately scoop her up, and examine her for any blood, broken bones or obvious signs of parental neglect. None were present and I could tell that she was only crying because it is a talent she is trying to perfect, so I sat down with her to find out what happened.

Her story, summed up, is that somehow she fell of the bed. She had been instructed a number of times in the minutes leading up to this tragic fall that she need to lay in bed, with her head on the pillow. I decided, because she had not followed orders, that this would be a perfect time for a lesson in cause-and-effect. I started in with a well crafted mom speech about how, if she had listened to mommy and stayed on the pillow, she would not have fallen and gotten hurt AND how next time, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. You get the picture.

After listening to me and soaking in this very important lesson, Grace responds. "Mom, sometimes accidents just happen." And she is right. Sometimes accidents do "just happen."

Well played Grace, well played!



Boobies

As a preface to this story, I need you to know that Grace is in a VERY serious relationship with her imaginary boyfriend, Jackson. I am personally not a fan of Jackson. He is very controlling, a little rude and has created his fair amount of unneeded drama in our house. The following is only the latest in the Jackson saga!

As we are walking through a department store, we pass the bra area.

Grace: You have big boobies mom.
Me: Silence
Grace: My boobies are still little.
Me: Silence
Grace: But don't worry mom. Jackson told me that when we get married my boobies will grow.
Me: Silence..."Tell Jackson he needs to stop talking about your boobies."

I told you Jackson is bad news!

3 comments:

Lambzann said...

Oh my gosh! Jackson is bad news!! Ahhhh!

Austin and Heather Kramer said...

So funny! Your girls is so smart! I laughed my head off at all those stories! Please write more, they are so great!

csorrough said...

Yeah, what the heck is the deal with these girls and boys???? Kylie is already all set to marry Brady one of the neighbor boys! So of course as any good and slightly paranoid Dad I try to limit any and all contact with this little monster!