Saturday, June 6, 2009

Eric and his fear of titties

If you know me well, you know that I am not much of a pet person. I am not into the mess, the hair everywhere, the pee and poop in the house, the furniture getting ruined, the feeding, the walking, the waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom...if you are wondering, yes, I am still talking about cats and dogs, and not my sweet children. My children I carried and gave birth to, so the things just mentioned are totally worth it. Not so much for an animal, though.

I like dogs well enough, but dogs that belong to other people. I could simply live without cats...sorry feline lovers. I grew up with dogs and a cat and over the years learned to love them (and by love I mean I learned not to hate them), but I have absolutely no desire to have any four legged pet of my own. My more recent stand on having a pet free house may stem from the blond, two legged creatures we have running around, but we were pet free long before kids came along, so I am pretty sure I am just not a pet person.

No offense to animals lovers, as someone has got to do it, but that someone just isn't me.

With all that being said, I am a TOTAL sucker for puppies and kittens. On our last trip to Utah we came across what were perhaps the cutest chocolate lab puppies ever to walk the earth. They were so sweet and had the bluest eyes you have ever seen. I nearly talked Eric's dad into bringing one home as a Christmas present for the family. And even thought I saw that these sweet dogs had giant paws, and I fully understood that meant they would eventually turn into giant dogs (with the fur, and poop, and all things I hate), I think I would have brought the dog home if we had been in Florida. Don't ask me about the contradiction, because there is simply no explanation.

Ah, background offered and now to the story...As we were leaving Wal-Mart tonight, I spotted some people giving away free kittens. Of course they were so sweet, and cuddly, and their fur was that baby kitten fur that is still so soft. I wanted to go over, just to get a closer look, but Eric said no way. I ignored him and got Grace in on the idea of checking out the kitties. Still, no budging from Eric. We both asked a few more times, promising that we would not to hold the kitties, but just wanted a closer look. Eric still was not going for it, so Grace and I raised the white flag and headed to the car.

I was bummed, but I know it was for my own good. Thanks, babe, for helping me come to my senses.

Grace on the other hand did not understand why dad didn't want us to hold the kitties. "Dad, why are you afraid of titties?" she asks loudly in crowed parking lot. (Grace is still working on the correct pronunciation on some of her letters, and "K" is still one she has yet to master.) Not being able to resist, I wonder the same thing and also ask in an equally loud parking lot voice, "Yeah, dad, why are you afraid of titties?"

Eric, ever patient, and well aware that he is outnumbered by us girls 3-1, just smiled at us both and kindly loaded the groceries into the car.

2 comments:

Lambzann said...

That is hilarious!! hahaha

Stephanie, Jerrad, Blake, Reese and Bandit said...

That is absolutely hysterical..... Thank you for sharing... Jerrad and I laughed out loud.